Greetings!
Well I sit here once again writing on a blog. I really didn't expect to find my old one here after two years of inactivity. However, it comforts me that I can actually do this technology thing. If I started it then, surely I can keep it alive now. See, I am not a fan of computers. I still remember the day in 10th grade when we went into the library to see the computer lab. I was overwhelmed then and told myself I hope I don't have to use these much. Go ahead laugh now, but if I would have known then what I know now I would have told that girl to hush and pay attention.
Throughout the years I've enjoyed using computers for writing documents, exchanging emails and dabbling in a little internet activity. I cannot tell you about my gigs, rams or any other creatures living in my system. As a matter of fact, when my computer died over the holidays I just went crazy. Luckily we had a warranty and the customer service I received was outstanding and compassionate. I started every call with, "I am not the tech savvy one in my family." We received a completely new system. It is beautiful and has a touch screen. My boyfriend asks me about this or that and I have no clue what to tell him other than to wait until he returns from Guam to see it for himself. I still use the computer for documents, email and internet browsing. Seems I haven't changed much over the years. I do enjoy creating power points though there is much room for growth. Just last weekend my boyfriend's 10 year old daughter showed me how to make a graph out of excel. She is learning this in the fourth grade.
She is not the only child; I have a 16yr old son, my boyfriend has his daughter and a 6yr old son and together we have a 3 1/2 year old son. This is our family and we don't speak of the kids any other way. We've had ups and downs but have persevered and finally recognized that we have done so only by the grace of God. It's a long story (you can see some of it in my blog from 2009) but it is getting better.
We do it all for our family. We can take over 200 pictures at Christmas and I don't print a quarter of them. I enjoy taking pictures and editing or cropping them and then printing and placing into scrapbooks. Aside from that my scanner usage is limited to work. I think I have burned a CD once or twice and am sure that my teenager could do it with his eyes closed!
I'm not going to let my fears of technology hold me back. I always had people who would "take care of" me and do that which I couldn't. It was good to be the boss or only girl in a male environment; but I don't want to fake it anymore. I didn't know what a computer peripheral was and wouldn't if you didn't list them in paranthesis. Okay, I would have googled it. I am praying this course will gently educate me about today's technology. I am not currently confident enough to buy a laptop because I don't really know what I need. I hope to become comfortable with whatever we cover in the course as well as exploring on my own once the course is over.
I joined the Navy in 1996, but before that I was a substitute teacher for about two years. I taught any subject and grade level from Kindergarten through 1oth grade. Throughout my Navy career I often volunteered for various reading programs. I just felt fortunate to give to others and help children become confident and succeed. My parents often told me I would make a good teacher someday; probably because I made my brothers sit through "class" as I wrote on my chalkboard. Last August I lost my job and decided to tutor for extra money. I have fallen in love with my elementary kids! They are 2nd through 5th graders in two different school districts. We follow my company's curriculum in Reading and Math. I realized it was now or never--I had to get back to school and become a teacher. I am not sure I will always be in Illinois as I am also praying my boyfriend accepts Christ as his savior and proposes so we can do this right. That being said, I would like to teach in Department of Defense schools overseas, but will be just as happy planting roots here and boating every summer on the Chain of Lakes!
Now that this blog is active again I plan to keep it current. I look forward to our first class.
Ciao,
Dena
Sunday, March 13, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Dena,
ReplyDeleteI look forward to meeting you tomorrow. I hope this educational journey is all you hope it will be.
Thanks Dena!
ReplyDeleteI love your honesty, I think that is what makes me feel the most comfortable about our friendship. I thank God that He is leading us on a path that will glorify Him most of all.
I love hearing about your kids!
Much Love,
Pam