Tuesday, March 22, 2011

HOTS and Technology- blog #2

How can technology help develop higher order thinking and problem solving skills? According to the CARET article technology develops this higher order of thinking and problem solving when students are not only taught how but are also allowed to apply what they have learned to actual issues and come up with their own solutions. I definitely agree with this idea. So often we will teach ideas and facts, put out the rules, tell students why they have to do something or how to do it. Then we fail to set them free to discover for themselves just how that ball of information can be applied to current problems. Hands on learning rarely fails to yield better results than just reading on the topic. If we apply that principle to problem solving then why wouldn't we want our students to check it out for themselves?
While in the military I saw a shift in how leadership and junior sailors interacted. In the old days if an order was given the sailor followed with an "aye-aye" and carried it out no questions asked. The new Navy as we like to call it, has a generation of sailors that want to know more. I never felt the question why was disrespectful. Instead I took the opportunity to share the big picture and how our work impacted the ship's mission. There is value in explaining to someone the difference they can make. I also allowed my sailors the freedom to tackle a repair with new and creative ideas as long as they were following safety guidelines. I think Benjamin Bloom who came up with the six levels of intellectual behavior in learning would have supported my actions.
He went beyond our knowledge, comprehension and application. He also included analysis, synthesis and evaluation. I believe all students are capable of learning anything we present them if done so in a manner they understand. I believe they can master the first three levels rather easily, but if we really want them to have higher order thinking skills we must give them the tools to practice the remaining levels of intellectual learning.
The use of technology provides access to so many learning tools and other cultures around the world. I looked at the various links provided in the tutorial. I am a reader and do it for my own enjoyment. The idea that my students could read their stories and then go to the Book adventure site (http://www.bookadventure.com/ki/index.asp) to do reports, quizzes or find other books excites me! If we don't have literate individuals in our society the technology won't matter. The access at our students' fingertips will enhance their skills.
In the CARET article we are told that having computers at home or in the school allow the students greater problem-solving and critical thinking skills as well as greater self-confidence and self-esteem. Math and Science are used more and more in our everyday lives. The use of technology makes learning about these subjects more interesting and you can see how people in professions of those fields use technology to carry out their work. Because Math and Science are prevalent throughout our years and experiences, we have got to ensure our youth has the ability to think critically and solve whatever comes their way. If using a computer and following software that draws them into education is what it takes to develop higher order thinking and problem solving skills then I am all for it.


References
http://caret.iste.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=evidence&answerID=7
http://www.education-world.com/a_tech/techtorial/techtorial011.shtml
http://eduscapes.com/tap/topic69.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment